Karin Tsai is a Director of Engineering at Duolingo, the most popular language-learning platform and the most downloaded education app in the world, with more than 300 million users.
In December 2019 Duolingo was valued at $1.5 billion, making it Pittsburgh’s first startup to reach "unicorn" status. In this episode, we're gonna talk about:
- The strategy of organizing engineering teams by Duolingo
- "Duolingo started as a Ph.D. project"
- The journey of Karin at Duolingo
- How Duolingo grow to 300 million users without big marketing efforts
- Why Native?
- How Covid-19 changes the user behavior of inline learners
- "You can learn any language you want to the proficiency where you can get a job at that language"
- What is the upcoming feature release?
- Pittsburgh vs Silicon Valley